Ahead of the Friday 14 November meeting for 730pm at Barkingside Library the platform speakers have their say below
Lee Scott MP says
We have worked together long and hard on the ‘Save King George Hospital’ campaign and have a very robust case to make on health provision in the area. The great strength of our local effort is that it has, so far, been non-party political. Our factual case has been argued and presented in the same way regardless of which party happened to be in power at the time.
Mike Gapes MP says
In 2011 Andrew Lansley the then Health Secretary announced plans to close both the accident and emergency and maternity at King George hospital within around two years. Despite a growing young population Ilford's maternity services were closed in 2013. Mothers are now forced to go to Queens Hospital Romford. However the A and E closure has been delayed because Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, covering both Queen’s and King George hospitals, cannot cope with existing demand, and it would not be safe to do so. It also has a huge deficit and has been put in special measures. In Parliament I pressed the current Conservative Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt to drop the closure plans. But he has refused to do this. I will continue to campaign to save our A and E at King George hospital and to improve other local NHS services.
Cllr Wes Streeting, Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Health & Wellbeing said:
“It’s important that people are aware that the plan to close A&E at King George Hospital is still very much alive. Delay isn’t good enough: we want to see the plan abandoned. It’s clear that Queen’s isn’t suitable for our growing population and I will continue to fight to save our local A&E.”