Sunday, April 7, 2019

Unacceptable wait for cancer treatment


A Redbridge resident has written the below and has given me permission to publish his account.


I would like to share my story with you and to find out if you think this level of service is acceptable.    
At the end I also include some more broad concerns about our local NHS as I do not want us to return to the state of the NHS in the late 1990s.

I think it is not acceptable to get a GP appointment in August 2018  for something that seems extremely  likely  to be a facial non melanoma cancer and to have to wait until June 2019 for a hospital appointment  ?

I will explain the full story as briefly as possible  
  1.  I had a red nose in August 2018 which then became very red and inflamed so I saw a GP.  She did not seem to know what the problem was but said antibiotics might settle it down.   It partially settled down
  2.  I saw a GP again in October because it was still too red.   She thought it was a non-melanoma cancer, so referred me to a local community dermatologist in November
  3.   I saw the DMC dermatologist who thought there was likely no problem.
  4.  In   December I found out that my GP is the dermatology lead doctor at my surgery so I went back to her.  She thought that there was still a strong likelihood of Cancer so she would refer me straight to the hospital to get it checked and most likely have a biopsy.
  5.  This appointment was not for 3 months until March the 19th which worried me,  but she assured me that was ok,   but to see her if there was any change in the condition as changes with Cancer on the face can advance rapidly.
  6.  After months of daily checks on the condition of my nose and just a few days before my appointment I got a letter to say it had been cancelled and to phone for a new appointment.
  7.  I phoned and was told that it was now June 6th.     It seems that after a 3 month wait I have gone all the way to the back of the queue.     I was told that there is nothing I can do and no other hospital to go to !!!       This was confirmed when I checked online.    This means that if this appointment is not cancelled  I will have waited 24 weeks since the last referral and nearly 10 months since the problem started.  This is just for an initial hospital diagnoses in a hospital far from where I live.   Would you call this an acceptable service for a nose with red markings on that is possible facial cancer, even if maybe non melanoma.   
  8. If not happy I was advised to phone the PALS team.......   who said they could not help and advised me to phone the Access Issues (airs)  team
  9. I phoned the Access issues team  and a helper took a message and said that they would phone back the following Monday.    On the Monday I fully explained the story I have just written,  and dissatisfaction of going to the back of the queue after they cancelled my appointment.     I also explained my concerns that  my parents had awful treatment in Whipps cross Hospital in the late 1990s suffering many years of constant delays and cancellations making their conditions far far worse until it was literally too late to live !!!.    They said there was nothing they could do and just advised me to see my GP.
  10.  I phoned my GP surgery who advised me to book the following week on Tuesday to see the dermatology lead GP.
  11.  I set my alarm for 6am on Tuesday to go online and book with this GP before the appointments run out.    She was not available so I booked with the 1 GP that was.   
  12.  He said that he would get the staff to book me with the correct GP and they would call me..   They did and my appointment   was for Friday 22nd March.
  13.     I saw my Dermatology GP who said that I definitely needed attention but could likely wait until 6th June but to also mention the strange white patch on my forehead.      She advised to try to get a cancellation and to use high factor sun-cream each day, especially on the affected areas     This means that instead of finally getting an appointment for likely facial cancer, I must again think of it each day by checking for cancelled appointments and/or using high factor sun-cream when ever leaving the house.    I have also spent ages drafting this e-mail and deciding whether to send it or not.
  14.  We are always being told to get checked/diagnosed for cancer at an early stage but with such a poor service and long wait it does not inspire confidence in our NHS.   
  15. I am actively trying to get an earlier appointment with regular checks with the online booking system.   I have requested a May 16th appointment and am waiting to see if that is confirmed.............
  This  is my story so far....    I hope this feedback is useful to you, to help your delivery of NHS services.  
Please advise me if there is anything else that I should be doing apart from waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment